El Jobean-Southland Trail Cemetery
The El Jobean Cemetery is 1.5 miles from the Myakka River on the Doolittle Waterway, between McClellan Avenue and Black Avenue. It is situated near the abandoned Charlotte Harbor & Northern Railroad and a huge turpentine operation.
Spanish-Indian fisherman may have found their final resting place north of El Jobean as early as 1760. Throughout the 1770's, an Old Spanish mission tended to the spiritual needs of these fishermen.
Unmarked, leased convict graves dating from 1877 to 1923, may also exist at the El Jobean Cemetery. County prisoners, most of them African-Americans, were leased as laborers to railroad, turpentine and lumber companies during this period of Florida's history. Several Charlotte County residents have memories of visiting these camps in the early 1920's and seeing flogging posts and hearing of prisoners who were treated as slaves, dying of abuse and beatings.
In 1994, the Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners accepted the El Jobean Cemetery from Atlantic Gulf Communities Corporation as a gift to the County.
The cemetery is an historical site only. Burials have not been made since around 1966, according to local residents. Markers were made of wood and quickly deteriorated leaving no burial records.