Solid Waste

How to Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste

How Can I Get Rid of My Leftover Products?

The best way to get rid of leftover products is to use them up or give them away to someone who can use them. Since this is not always possible, the Charlotte County Solid Waste Department offers year round Household Hazardous Waste Collections at our Recycling Centers in Port Charlotte and Englewood. These facilities are open every Tuesday thru Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except for major holidays. These facilities are for Households only, Business waste is prohibited.

Suggested Disposal Methods For:

Bring the anti-freeze to a Household Hazardous Waste collection in original container or gallon milk jug. Label it. Do not pour into a storm drain or a septic system.

Lead-Acid batteries from cars, boats, motorcycles, and lawnmowers can be recycled at your curb, taken to a retailer, or brought to a Household Hazardous Waste collection.
Rechargeable batteries(NiCad)
should not be thrown in the trash. Take to a retailer(like Radio Shack) or to a Household Hazardous Waste collection.
Regular single use household batteries can be thrown in your trash.

Use them up or give them to someone who can. Household cleaners can still be used even if they are several years old or you can take them to a household hazardous waste collection.

Cooking Oil:
Charlotte County residents can dispose of used cooking oil FREE OF CHARGE at both the Mid-County and West Charlotte Mini-Transfer & Recycling Facilities.

Electronic Waste:
Residents are encouraged to donate unwanted electronic equipment. To dispose of electronic equipment and televisions (e-waste) residents should call Waste Management at 941.629.1106 or fill out the E-waste Curbside Pickup Request Form at least two days prior to their scheduled service day.

Old gasoline and oil/gas mixtures can be used safely if first regenerated by mixing with fresh gasoline or fresh oil/gas mixtures. Boat owners may want to contact their harbor master for disposal. Old Kerosene can be regenerated by mixing with fresh kerosene. If the above is not desirable, you can bring the product to any household hazardous waste collection in containers not larger than five gallons. Use caution when transporting these materials as they can be highly flammable.

The best way to get rid of these is to use them up according to the label directions, or give it to someone who can. If this is not possible, safely store it until there is a household hazardous waste collection.

Pool Chemicals:
Try to use these up, and be careful not to mix acid with chlorine. Keep containers tightly sealed. If necessary, bring to a household hazardous waste collection.

Please bring devices containing this toxic metal to a Household Hazardous Waste collection. Items include fluorescent light tubes, thermometers.

Motor Oil and Used Oil Filters:
Curbside motor oil/filters and non-leaking lead acid battery collection is available on your service day. As of July 6, 2009 orange colored stickers are no longer necessary for your used motor oil or oil filters to be picked up by Waste Management. Use a transparent gallon container (milk jug type) with a screw type lid for your oil and a clear plastic bag for your filters and place items 5 feet away from your garbage cart on your regular collection day. Many Auto Parts stores also take used oil. Call us for more information.

Usable paint can be used as a primer coat or given away. Small amounts of paint can hardened by taking the lid off to dry or by mixing with kitty litter. Dried paint can be safely disposed in your regular trash, just remember to leave the lid off. If you have cannot get rid of it using the above mentioned methods, take it to a household hazardous waste collection.

Try to use them up, and also try to use water based products. If you can’t use it up, then bring it to a household hazardous waste collection.

Syringes/Hypodermic Needles:
There are three locations for County and City residents to pick up new and drop off used sharps containers: both County Mini-Transfer Facilities during their regular hours, and at the City of Punta Gorda Fire Department office in the Public Safety Building at 1410 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, Monday Friday 8 a.m. 4:30 p.m. This service is for residents only, businesses cannot participate. If you are unable to drive to the collection, call 941.764.4360.